Monday, 4 December 2006

Cats,Clubs and Comics

So london on saturday was good. I dont need to bore you with the details. It was me, a saturday night and london. You can imagine what happend ;)
But then it all went wrong.
The house that i was staying it is owned by a friend of mine. He has two housemates. And they own two cats.
At around 2 in the morning i had a allergic reaction to the cats and started coughing and loosing my breath. By 3, every time i sat down or stopped moving, my throat would clam up and i would stop breathing. Some time after 4 i managed to lock myself in a room the cats hadent been in much and get about 3 hours sleep.
Even now, almost 24 hours later, my ribs are aching from coughing, my throat feels like its full of hair and my back aches from sleeping on the floor. All in all, not the best way to end the night.
Although i did laugh to myself at one point. As my breath stopped...i looked up and the fridge infront of me and thought..."the last thing im ever going to see is a Tom of Finland fridge magnet"

So...the rest of my friends spent sunday at the house. I left early and headed back to the center of town.
London on a sunday morning is a gray and lifeless place. Gone are the bright lights and noise of the night before, only to be replaced by the rubbish blowing against shuttered shops. The people drag themself along the road, never looking like they know where they are going or where they are coming from.
Even Soho is the same. The cafe`s are still full of life....gay couples sipping coffee and reading the papers to each other. The occasional shopper going into a bookshop before heading to the sex shop below it. But apart from that, you would be forgiven for thinking that your in anytown, UK.

Eventually after what seemed like days, the shops started to open up. So in desparate need of cheering up, i headed into Forbidden Planet. For those of you that dont know what that is, imagine the worlds best comic shop, mix it with a great bookshop, throw in film memorabilia and a dash of nostalga...and your pretty much there. I can spend hours at a time loosing myself in there. Theres something like 20miles worth of shelves in the place...and they seem happy enough to let you wander about reading stuff.
I picked up a few birthday presents for people, looked at some stuff i wish i could afford, then headed back home, a small smile back on my face.

So that was my weekend. Some ups, some downs. But mostly....coughing and pain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I miss London, even on a grey Sunday morning! If I were in that area now, I'd go to my fave coffee place (Monmouth Coffee) and get a coffee with a square of gourmet chocolate, a croque madame at a cafe off Charing Cross (Amatto), and...I'd go straight up to the British Library for the rest of the day ;)

Forbidden Planet...I'd be envious, but I think there's one in NY. Did you buy anything for yourself?